Wednesday 10 April 2013

Nellikkai/Gooseberry/Amla Juice



 





Nellikkai/Gooseberry/Amla Juice!



I had been suffering from gastric problems for quite a long time. At one point of time, I often started having sharp pain which disappeared quickly but would promptly return again.  Along with that, for about a month or two, I had been having a bout of eczema, (skin rashes) which was very annoying.  I had been visiting one doctor after another; all of them seemed to have treating the symptoms, with no permanent solution.  I was still looking for underlying conditions and I started researching about it in terms of ‘Ayurveda’.  That’s when I came to know about the connection between skin rashes and gastric as well as digestion problems.  The more you are affected by these (gastric and digestion) problems, you are more likely to suffer from skin rashes. It sounded logical to me, so I was trying to find solution for gastric.  I had been taking ‘Inji Kashayam’ for a while, though it tremendously helped control phlegm and cough, it didn’t seem to work well enough for gastric.

My husband (our family’s ‘Health Ambassador’) had been nagging me to take ‘Gooseberry Juice’, ever since he had read about it somewhere. Initially, I turned a deaf ear to his naggings, but finally when I gave it a try, it was ‘purely magical’.  Even if I thank him ‘Million times’ it would never be enough. Within a week’s time, I found slowly all the gastric symptoms disappearing.  Eczema, well under control, though it didn’t disappear fully.

Among the numerous much touted ‘benefits’ of ‘Amla’, (perhaps, I’m yet to discover the others, which might take longer time), I truly experienced, that it helps relieve gastric.

‘Yaam Petra Inbam Peruga Ivvaiyagam’(meaning - spread the joy to the whole world!) that’s why I’ve posted it here.

 

How to take:

 

It’s best to take ‘Gooseberry Juice’ in an empty stomach. Try to take very early in the morning.  I can guarantee that with its excellent fulfilling taste, you are not going to be hungry for minimum two hours, after taking the juice. (Probably, you won't even have an inclination to have your morning tea/coffee)That’s because ‘Amla/Nellikkai/Gooseberry’ is said to be satisfying all the 6 kinds of taste, namely ‘Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salty, Pungent and Astringent’. You can also expect 2 to 3 bowel movements along with growling.(however, the reactions can be different for individuals) No need to be alarmed, because, I guess this is natural way of getting rid of toxins. So, if you are trying it for the first time, make sure you’re free that day, if you are working, it’s better to choose weekends to try it.  Good Luck! 

 

Nellikkai/Gooseberry/Amla Juice Recipe:

 

I adapted this recipe from ‘Tasty Appetite’, here’s the link:


 

Ingredients:

 

Nellikkai/Amla/Gooseberry – 5 to 6

(When you mix with water, it will yield about 1 cup of juice)

Honey – 2 tbsp.

Water – to grind and mix

 

Method:

 
Chop Nellikkai/Gooseberry into small pieces, grind with water into a smooth texture.

Squeeze the juice with clean white cloth/Kitchen linen.  You can use strainer as well. But, to squeeze tight I use thin cotton towels, which I buy from India.

Combine with water and honey. Enjoy sip by sip, I’ve never relished such a health drink so far. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, where can I get the Gooseberry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, it's available in Indian Grocery Stores, in Singapore, I've seen in Indian grocery stores at Little India and Mustafa Centre. At times, it's available in Sheng Siong as well

    ReplyDelete

Leave your valuable feedback here, that will sure be a boost for me to go on.. Tnx